Simon B is a Motor Vehicle Technician at BT. He says "I feel extremely lucky all the time... that I've actually managed to take something that I enjoy doing in my spare time, to being paid for it and actualy doing it day in, day out as a job."
More information about vehicle technicians, mechanics and electricians
Check out 4 videos about this career
Vehicle technicians, mechanics and electricians accept calls for help and repair and service the mechanical parts and electrical/electronic circuitry and components of cars, lorries, buses, motorcycles and other motor vehicles, and repair and service auto air-conditioning systems.
There are no formal academic entry requirements, although some employers may require GCSEs/S grades or an equivalent qualification. Training is undertaken off- and on-the-job. NVQs/SVQs at Levels 2 and 3 are available. Apprenticeships at NVQ/SVQ Levels 2 and 3 are available and take three to four years to complete.
- Visually checks, test drives or uses test equipment to diagnose engine and mechanical faults
- Removes, dismantles, repairs and replaces defective parts and prepares new parts using appropriate tools
- Reassembles, tests, adjusts and tunes the appropriate parts, systems or entire engine
- Carries out routine maintenance checks on oil and air filters, brakes and other vehicle parts/systems
- Diagnoses faults in electrical/electronic circuitry, removes faulty components and fits replacements
- Checks condition of electrical/electronic systems and carries out servicing tasks
- Installs additional electrical amenities such as radio/CD players, aerials
- Repairs and services air conditioning, heating and engine-cooling systems.
for this job
|Sale of motor vehicles||30,737|
|Other trans. equipment||5,303|
|Repair & installation||4,924|
Where to go nextVehicle maintenance and repair apprenticeshipsJobs and careers at BT Motor vehicle technician career information - National Careers Service
- Curriculum Subject
- Job features
- I like
- My job involves being
- Working lifestyle
- Interaction with others
- Job type(s)
- Influences & Choices
- Education/work pattern(s)
- First job influence
- Job location
- West Midlands
- Focus On
- Enterprise types