Billy F is a Web developer for Realtime Worlds. He got the job because he made his own successful website for the Chinese Community in Dundee. He came to the UK with a Master's degree in Transport but as he says "I play computer games all day and all night and then I started having interest with computing itself."
More information about Web design and development professionals
Check out 8 videos about this career
The UK average salary is £28,758
There are 37.5 hours in the average working week
The UK workforce is 47% female and 53% male
DescriptionJobholders in this unit group design, develop and maintain websites to meet a client’s specified requirements.
QualificationsEntrants usually possess a degree or equivalent qualification, although entry with other academic qualifications and/or significant relevant experience is possible. There is a variety of relevant vocational, professional and postgraduate qualifications available.
- Liaises with internal/external client in order to define the requirements for the website;
- Presents design options to the client;
- Designs web pages including graphics, animation and functionality to maximise visual effectiveness and facilitate appropriate access;
- Develops the website and applications;
- Designs and develops web interfaces for relational database systems;
- Establishes methods to ensure appropriate website security and recovery;
- Writes and publishes content for the website;
- Tests website interaction and performance prior to going ‘live’, and monitors and maintains functionality of the website;
- Activates the ‘live’ website.