Dan C is a Market Analyst for Johson Matthey's Precious Metal Marketing Group. He tracks the global supply of the platinum group metals which Johnson Mathey use to manufacture their products. This involves going to places like South Africa and Russia where the metals are dug out of the ground. Dan studied chemistry at school and university, because he enjoyed the subject rather than with a particular career in mind. After he'd done his PhD he realised he didn't want to become an academic so he went to work for Johnson Matthey.
More information about Management consultants and business analysts
Check out 5 videos about this career
The UK average salary is £28,758
There are 37.5 hours in the average working week
The UK workforce is 47% female and 53% male
DescriptionJobholders in this unit group advise industrial, commercial and other establishments on a variety of management and business-related matters to assist in the formulation of financial and business policies in order to maximise growth or improve business performance.
QualificationsEntry is most common with a degree or equivalent qualification, but is possible with other academic qualifications. Professional qualifications are available and will be a requirement in some areas.
- Assesses the functions, objectives and requirements of the organisation seeking advice;
- Identifies problems concerned with business strategy, policy, organisation, procedures, methods and markets;
- Determines the appropriate method of data collection and research methodology, analyses and interprets information gained and formulates and implements recommendations and solutions;
- Advises governments, commercial enterprises, organisations and other clients in light of research findings;
- Runs workshops, and addresses seminars, conferences and the media to present results of research activity or to express professional views.